Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer fun with Camp Invention

Have you ever heard of Camp Invention?  This is one of the ways I have spent my summer vacation!

Camp Invention is the only nationally recognized, non-profit elementary enrichment program backed by the National Inventors Hall of Fame. 


I had the opportunity to be the director of this year's camp.  It was our first time having the camp and the kids had a blast!  My principal's own children had attended this camp at another location one summer and he was very excited to introduce the staff to this STEAM related camp.  From a director's standpoint, I will tell you that the company provides ALL of the curriculum, material, training and support.  On my end, I helped to find the kids and take care of problems during the week.

Here is a great video clip from the camp that showcases more information about the camp's activities and the connection to real inventors.  


Here are some pictures of the kids and the products they invented.  Enjoy!

Using fabric to create and design fashion.

Taking apart electronics!  The kids loved this...who wouldn't? They then used pieces from the inside on a pinball machine that they created.

Can you hear inside the room?

Cooperation...collaboration...communication...

Look at the hat I engineered for Crazy hat day!



Prototypes for new car designs.





Tinkering and creating with recycled materials. 

For more information, contact Camp Invention at www.campinvention.org. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie,
    This looks like a lot of fun for the kids. I'm teaching second grade this coming year, and I'm researching ways to provide more of the "E" from STEM. I'm also going to check out Camp Invention!
    Thanks for sharing,
    karen
    Smarticle Particles

    ReplyDelete